Advantages and disadvantages of filterless models
Filterless models are extremely popular among people who need a quiet and hassle-free humidifier.
First off, you don’t have to change the filters regularly if the humidifier doesn’t need them. This means that, even though the model is probably more expensive initially, it may save money in the long run. Also, such humidifiers generally produce much less noise than their filter counterparts.
Filter models have the added bonus of being able to draw bacteria out before dispensing water, but this isn’t a big problem for filterless models as long as they are kept clean.
Features to consider while choosing a filterless humidifier
So what do the individual features of a filterless humidifier mean? Which are the features and functions you should look out for when searching for the perfect one for your home?
The mist type refers to the temperature at which the mist is dispensed and stored. Cool mist models only release water at roughly warm temperature. It doesn’t have a noticeable cooling effect as such, but it doesn’t heat the room either. Warm mist humidifiers will have a slight warming effect as they increase the humidity, but will also kill some of the bacteria as the water is heated to add an extra safety and health benefit.
Water tank capacity
This is, quite simply, how much water can be held within the humidifier. Most of the models tend to have between half and two gallons of capacity, and this can make a huge difference to the size of the unit overall, as well as the runtime (as explored below).
Runtime is the amount of time you can use your humidifier for between refilling the tank.
The runtime is based on how much water the humidifier can hold, but also how quickly it dispenses. Many humidifiers have different settings and levels of mist which can influence how long the humidifier can run for.
Top models such as the Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier can last over two days on the lowest setting without having to replace the water in the tank. Of course, those which have multiple settings for dispensing mist will often use more water and lower the runtime if being used on a more intense setting.
The manufacturer will usually include a figure, measured in square footage, of how large a space their humidifier is suitable for. You need to work out your room size and ensure that the coverage is as big, or bigger than this.
Some filterless humidifiers will only describe themselves as being suitable for small, medium or large rooms so you will need to use your discretion and read the top filterless humidifier reviews to see what sort of room sizes people are using their humidifier in.
As we’ve briefly touched upon, the sound level of the most filterless humidifiers is one of its big benefits as opposed to filtered ones. Some models, such as the InvisiPure Sky Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier or the VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier, are virtually silent, and are great for kids rooms and nurseries.
If you are going to be using your humidifier in a kitchen, or somewhere there is a little bit of extra noise through appliances, then it might not be a priority to have a super quiet humidifier, but if you want one in your room while you sleep, silence is golden.
Essential oils compatibility
Essential oils can have a huge amount of benefits, from soothing a cold to helping you fall asleep. Some people are dismissive of their benefits, but oils like lavender oil are scientifically proven to have many benefits to the human body, mood and mind.
Models such as the Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier allow for essential oils to be added and slowly dispersed with the humidifying mist and can provide both a pleasant smell and lots of other benefits to mind and body.
Dimensions and weight
The size and weight of the humidifier may not matter if you have lots of space to work with. However, if you are in a small room or small apartment, you may wish to opt for a humidifier which is more compact and doesn’t take up much room. Unfortunately, the trade-off is the fact that smaller humidifiers don’t tend to have the same capacity in their tanks, which means that you may not get the same runtime.
An overly heavy humidifier might also be tough if you are refilling it regularly. If you have issues lifting heavy items then you might have some troubles with carrying a couple of gallons of water, especially if you have to take your humidifier up and down stairs, for instance.
Humidifiers are a product with not a great deal of continuity in the warranties offered. Different manufacturers seem to have hugely varied warranties. The Pure Enrichment MistAire Silver Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is the best on this list with an excellent five-year warranty. The warranty offers you protection, but also sometimes indicates the faith the manufacturers have in their product.
Some humidifiers have included extra features to distinguish their offering from the crowd. Some of these are safety features, others are for added convenience.
- Auto shut-off. This is a safety feature included in most humidifiers. It means that when the humidifier gets to a low water level it will turn itself off automatically.
- Remote control. This is a pretty self-explanatory High tech models such as the Levoit LV600HH have remote controls. This may not be the most critical feature, but it is undoubtedly appealing if you don’t want to have to keep getting up and making adjustments.
- Timer settings can also be included to let you set your humidifier to come on and turn off at a certain For example, if your humidity levels drop during the day you could set your humidifier to be on in this time frame.
- Oil diffusers. These are often added to slowly diffuse the essential oils which are compatible, and allow a constant stream of oils to be released.
- Some humidifiers, such as the Levoit, have an automatic setting, meaning they can kick in when the humidity level reaches a certain figure, for example, the mist can kick in when you get to under 40% of humidity.
Tips to keep your humidifier in perfect condition
Your humidifier should be very beneficial for your health and comfort, but if you don’t treat it well, it can develop mildew and mold, which can have the opposite effect! These are our top tips for keeping the humidifier in perfect condition:
- Regularly clean the humidifier with a brush. Some ultrasonic humidifiers will include cleaning brushes which can help you to get to even the most awkward areas of the tank.
- Try to clean the mechanism itself with warm water to kill bacteria, as well as ensuring mildew cannot build up.
- Don’t let your humidifier run empty too often. Though most have an auto shut-off, the mechanism working without an adequate supply of water can lead to damage.