What are the advantages of an electric wall heater?
The first thing that probably pops your mind when you think of an electric wall heater is that it’s space-saving. Electric wall heaters are easy to fit in a small room because they barely take two square feet of wall space. In addition, you don’t need any technical assistance to install them as all heaters come with an instruction manual. However, an electric wall heater is much more than that. Check out their key advantages below.
- Easy to use– Electric wall heaters are super easy to use as all you have to do is plug it into power. They are also pretty safe because all heaters come with two built-in safety precautions, including overheating shut off and automatic shut off when someone or something comes too close to it.
- Heats the room quickly– Wall heaters take less than 10 minutes to heat up the entire room. However, if your room is big, you will need two heaters because one only heats 250 square feet of area on average.
- Supplements the central heating unit– Central heating units don’t warm up all rooms equally. Most of the times, the office, playroom, and your kid’s rooms are the coldest because the heat doesn’t reach there sufficiently. A simple way to solve this issue is by installing wall electric heaters in these rooms.
- Affordable – You will find a good, energy-efficient wall heater between $50 to $150. When combined with their ease of installation and fast heating ability, they are amazing to deal and a quick solution.
- Warms the room quietly– On average, electric wall heaters make less than 50 dB(A), which is comfortable enough for you and your kids to peacefully sleep throughout the night. It sounds more or less like a hair dryer on low speed.
- Clean quality of air– If you or anyone at your house has allergies, electric wall heaters should be your go-to choice because they don’t force air through ducts and vents. It reduces the quantity of dust and pollen entering your house, thereby improving the quality of air.
Things to consider while choosing an electric wall heater
The cold air during winter makes it impossible to sleep well throughout the night. Half of the time is spent in going to the loo. It gets worse if you have a drafty window or when the central heating system doesn’t heat up one particular room. Don’t think much and start looking for a good electric wall heater. Here are the top things you need to consider while buying an electric wall heater.
Heating power and modes
The value of a heater’s heating power is calculated in watts. It tells you the energy it will consume to produce a certain amount of heat, and it is different from different models. You should always choose a product that produces the most amount of energy using the least amount of wattage. It is essentially important if you want to install it in an RV or motorhome. The Heat Storm Deluxe heater is the most energy efficient model on our list. It has a heating power of 1,000W and heats up 500 square feet of space.
On the other hand, Bromic Smart-Heat Tungsten Electric 4000W Heater is not as heat efficient because it needs 4,000W but heats up only 130 square feet. Always look for heaters with eco-mode as they are more energy efficient and bring down the electricity bill.
The area you need to be heated
The heating power is directly related to the number of square feet it covers. A heater needs 10 watts to heat one square foot of area. However, some heaters consume more than 20 watts to heat the same area. Avoid these models because they aren’t fuel efficient. We recommend you to purchase the Stiebel Eltron CKT 15E, our editor’s pick because it heats up 215 square feet of space using only 1,500W of energy. PuraFlame 36″ Galena is perfect for your master bedroom as it can heat 400 square feet of space and consumes only 1,350W.
Heat output: how do you know if it’s sufficient for you?
Heat output calculates the amount of energy you require to increase the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. Higher the BTU, the more efficient the heater is. If a heater you have is producing less BTU than mentioned on the box, it needs a repair. Some efficient units on our list include Stiebel Eltron CKT 15E that has a heat output of 5,118 BTU/hr, Stiebel Eltron CNS 240-2 E with 8,189 BTU/hr, and PuraFlame 36″ Galena that has a heat output of 10,000 BTU/hr.
As we mentioned earlier, all electric wall heaters come with two precautionary features, including automatic overheating shut off and automation shut off when someone comes closer. Some brands offer more safety features, including anti-trip technology, which comes with the Heat Storm Deluxe 1000W Infrared Heater. It protects the electric breaker and LCD display from a short circuit.
Ease of use
Two of the most important features that make an electric wall heater easy to use are thermostat and timer. A thermostat helps you to maintain the room temperature between 40 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, while a timer turns up the heat only for a certain amount of time. These are really convenient because you can find a comfortable temperature setting. Products on our list that have both a thermostat and a timer include Stiebel Eltron CKT 15E, PuraFlame 36″ Galena, and Heat Storm Deluxe 1000W Infrared Heater. Two more features that boost a heater’s usability are LCD and fan speed control.
Your specific needs
You are looking for a heater to satisfy a particular purpose. Some need a heater for their garage, while others want to warm up their children’s playroom. While the product requirements remain the same for your office, playroom, bedroom, and living room, they change for the bathroom, garage, and outdoor spaces. You need a waterproof model like the Cadet Com-Pak CSC151TW and the Heat Storm Deluxe.
On the other hand, for your children’s bedroom and play area you need a Heat Storm Deluxe 1000W Infrared Heater that doesn’t heat itself but produces enough warmth to keep the temperature up.
Heater dimensions and weight
No electric wall heater should be more than two square feet because anything bigger than that will stand out like a sore thumb. All the heaters mentioned in our list are less than two square feet in size, so you can pick anyone you want. The weight doesn’t really matter because all of them are lightweight.
The best brands offer three years of warranty or more. Stay from brands that provide anything less than that. Stiebel Eltron CNS 240-2 E and Cadet Energy Plus come with three years of warranty, while the King Electric PAW1215-W offers five-year warranty, which is absolutely amazing. It indirectly indicates the superior quality of materials used to develop the product.