Why choose an infrared heater
Infrared heaters offer several key advantages over other heater types. These include the following:
- Safety – Obviously, when you are looking for a space heater, then the first thing that you need to think about is safety. If you use a propane heater, then you need to be careful to keep things far away from it, since it uses an open flame to create heat. On the other hand, the coils on a standard electric heater can get hot enough to burn anyone that accidentally touches it. Infrared heaters, thankfully, do not get as warm as other heaters. These models also have a protective sheath that wraps around the heating elements. This protective sheath makes the surface of the infrared heater safe to the touch.
- Efficient – Unlike other heaters that experience a large amount of heat loss during operation, infrared heaters transfer almost 100% of the heat they create. This efficient operation helps to save on energy, and when combined with their immediate heat creation, makes these heaters extremely cost-effective to operate.
- Quiet – Lots of heaters, especially gas models, are quite noisy. This level of noise can make heating your home at night more of a bother than it is worth. Infrared heaters, thankfully, are completely silent in their operation, even if you get an oscillating model like the Duraflame 5HM7000-NC04 whose noise level is no louder than a whisper, so it shouldn’t disturb you at all while you are trying to sleep.
- Durable – As you would expect with any quality product, these heaters are built to last. This is especially true if you get a stove style model, like the Duraflame DFI-5010-01. These larger models help to make tipping less likely, which will help to keep the heater from falling over, though even much smaller models like the COSTWAY Infrared Electric Quartz Tower Heater should stand up to standard wear and tear with ease.
- Easy to maintain – One of the best things about infrared heaters is that they are effortless to maintain. Most of the models don’t have any moving parts, so you don’t need to worry about any motors burning out or needing to be lubricated. These machines also don’t have any air filters that need regular cleanings, which is a huge time saver. All you will have to do is make sure to clean the reflectors on occasion, and your heater will keep running smoothly.
- Heat and cool quickly – Infrared heaters are very different from other types of heaters in that they can both heat up and cool down very quickly. This quick heating action helps to make them very effective at warming up a room quickly. Since they cool down so fast, these heaters are also much safer when you turn them off so that you can leave the room.
- Environmentally friendly – Since these heaters create no fumes or pollution of any kind, they are much better for the environment, both inside and outside your home, than a gas heater. Another aspect that helps to reduce the carbon footprint of these heaters is the fact that they don’t use a ton of electricity, which means that your local power plants won’t need to work as hard to give you enough electricity.
- Won’t effect humidity – Having the right amount of humidity in your home during the colder months will help to keep everyone in your household much healthier. Unfortunately, lots of conventional heaters draw moisture out of the air as part of their heating Infrared heaters, on the other hand, produce completely dry heat, which helps to keep anyone from experiencing itchy eyes and dry throats.
Features to consider while choosing an infrared heater
As you can imagine, there are lots of different factors that you need to consider to find the best electric infrared heater carefully. In this section, we will go through everything you need to know so that you can buy your next heater with confidence.
One of the first things that you will want to take into careful consideration is the amount of power that your new heater is going to need to run correctly. Even though infrared heaters are relatively energy-efficient, it still makes sense to understand the amount of power they will require so that you buy the one that will best meet your heating needs and won’t go past your economic limits.
If you are looking to save a bit of money, and don’t need to have quite as powerful of a heater, then the COSTWAY Infrared Electric Quartz Tower Heater is a great option. It only uses 1,200 watts total, which will save you a bit of money.
The next thing that you will want to think about is how large of an area you are going to be using your heater in. The last thing that you want to do is get a heater home and find out that it isn’t designed to heat the space you had in mind. You also don’t want to overbuy either, since that will cost you extra money without any additional benefits.
The Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater is an excellent option if you have a smaller space that you want to keep warm. It has a coverage area of about 300 square feet, which is more than enough for a pretty big room. If, on the other hand, you want to warm up a whole floor of your home, then something like the Dr. Infrared DR-968, which is capable of heating a space of up to 1,000 square feet.
Heat settings and thermostat
As with any heating or cooling device, you want to make sure you get a model that allows you to set your desired temperature accurately. Otherwise, you’ll end up wasting money achieving the wrong temperature, or be too cold or hot. As such, you need to make sure that you get an infrared heater with an easy-to-use thermostat. You will also want to look for different heat settings since this will allow you to choose whether to heat up a room quickly or allow it to take its time.
The Muskoka Lifestyle Products 1500 Watt Infrared Heater is an excellent option for different heat settings since it has three to choose from, though it doesn’t have a thermostat. Most of the other heaters do have a thermostat, but the Heat Storm HS-1500-IMO’s is probably the easiest to setup and utilize.
One of the best things about an infrared heater is that they don’t need to be overly large to heat up a space effectively. That helps to find the one that will fit inside of your home, regardless of whether or not you live in a large home or a smaller apartment setting. Just make sure that you have a good idea of how much space you have in your home so that you can rest assured that your new heater will fit correctly.
How much your new heater weighs will not have a direct effect on how well it heats your space. Instead, you should base the weight of your new model on where you intend to use it. If you are planning to move it along with you throughout your home based on where you will be spending your time, then a lighter model is a better idea. On the other hand, if you are going to keep your heater in one spot, then the weight won’t matter, so you can go ahead and get a larger and more stylish model, like the Lifesmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace, which is the heaviest on our list at 43 pounds.
As with any purchase, you are going to want to protect your investment. This is especially true when you are looking for something that is going to be seeing heavy use like an infrared heater. While lots of companies will offer what they claim to be a long warranty, you need to make sure that you read it very carefully. That way you will be certain that you are covered if something on your heater stops working after a short amount of time. The Dr. Infrared DR-968 has one of the longest warranties on the market at three years, which makes it a great buy if you want to protect your investment.
There are lots of different features that you might want to keep in mind before you make your final decision. For instance, if you want to move your heater from room to room, then you might want to keep your eyes out for a heater with wheels since this makes moving it into position much easier.
Something else that will ease your life significantly is a remote control, like the one that comes with the EdenPURE A5551b. If you get a model that has one, you will be able to change the temperature of your heater without having actually to walk up and do it manually.
One more thing that you might want to look for when you are shopping for the best infrared heater on the market is an automatic shut-off. Not only will this feature help to keep you from wasting money from heating a space you are not in anymore, but it can also keep your heater from being a safety hazard since it will turn off if it gets tipped over.
Some safety tips
Even though these heaters are incredibly safe, there are still some several safety tips that you should keep in mind. These include:
- Look for a model with tip-over and overheat protection.
- Plug your heater directly into an outlet, do not use extension cords.
- Make sure that you regularly clean the exterior of your heater and inspect it closely to make sure everything is working correctly.
- You should always turn off and unplug your heater when it is not in use.
- Never use your heater near a water source, since this could cause it to short circuit.